Friday 27 August 2010

Green Beans, Tomatoes and Love

Friday August 27th


Day 128


We sit on the back step, the pussy cat and I. My feet are immersed in a washing up bowl of hot salty water. He gazes into the garden. We are basking in the surprise gift of a late sun - hot even at 6 pm.


My favourite supper is on the stove - a pan of Braised Green Beans with Tomatoes and Garlic. I make it every summer, more than once. It’s a rich stew, slow cooked in olive oil till the beans are melting tender and the tomatoes have broken out of their skins and made a pulpy sweet sauce with the garlic and stock. It’s from ‘Cranks Fast Food’ by Nadine Abensur who is French-Jewish born in Morocco so many of her dishes are inspired by the earthy heat of the Middle East and Mediterranean.


I sometimes wonder why some vegetables or fruits compliment each other so well and become classics and other combinations just clash and you turn your nose up at them.

I think beans and tomatoes are a marriage made in heaven because they bask together under the same sun and rain, share the same season. And garlic, like love, brings out the best in just about anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment