Wednesday 4 August 2010

Blistering

Wednesday 4th August


Day 105


The wind in the kitchen this afternoon is a mischievous street urchin - snatching the tea towels from their rail, swiveling the Buddleia stems in the vase on the counter, wafting the smokey scent of blistering aubergines up the stairs, and whisking the doors shut.


When I realise the clouds have blown away and the sun is blazing, unexpectedly, I sit on the patio step - the garden chair seats are still rain-sodden. I turn my face to the sky and feel the heat, hot as fire, on my cheeks. I can steal these few minutes of summer - I know my aubergine skins need to burn a bit longer under the grill to impart their charcoal flavour into the creamy flesh beneath - the secret of a good Babganoush. That, and lots of garlic.


No comments:

Post a Comment