Saturday 17 July 2010

Saturday July 17th


Day 88


On our way to Dartmoor we stop at a delicatessen in a small town and buy a bag of fresh cheese straws. They have a reputation for being the best in Devon. In fact there is a hand-written sign stuck in the basket where they are piled up, which says they are “Better than Sex.”


I put my hand in the grease spotted bag as soon as we are out of the shop - and bite into the high baked, cheese-melted, crisp and chewy stick. My mouth burns with disappointment. Too much cayenne.


I’m glad I packed a picnic - two plastic boxes, a trio of salads inside - grated bright purple beetroot and carrot in a fresh orange dressing, sliced yellow courgettes and sweet hard peas, an egg and tuna couscous with olives and parsley. And another box of cos lettuce hearts and cherry tomatoes. All seasoned just to my taste.


Perfect fuel for our hike up to Bellever Tor.

No comments:

Post a Comment