Monday 7 June 2010

Monday 7th June


Day 49


The avocado feels ripe. When I cut it open it’s woolly and brown spotted. I spoon it into the blender with a dressing I find in the fridge door. I made it for the fish on Saturday - creamy with parsley, garlic and lemon. It turns into a pale velvet gloop. No-one would know it was past its best. It becomes part of our left over lunch - penne pasta with the dregs of a tomato and mushroom sauce - not sure of its vintage - stretched with half a jar of chilli salsa sauce from Waitrose which has been hanging around at the back of the fridge for a a while - and a big bunch of chopped spinach.


The art of leftovers. The art I haven't mastered yet is the one of not cooking too much. I now have two plastic tubs of new left overs in the fridge. And I’m sure I’ve just cooked too many potatoes for supper. Fish cakes tomorrow? I’m trying to run all the food down before we go on holiday on Saturday but realise I’ve been a bit premature. The fridge is already echoey empty and it’s only Monday. Another art to learn - how to make every day feel like a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment