Sunday 30 May 2010

Sunday 30th May


Day 41


This afternoon while my husband was building a cling film house for his tomatoes I was a garden artist - both of us digging in the sun a little distance apart. I took my palette of rainbow plants - scarlet and burnt orange, rape yellow and magenta, velvet violet and moon silver - and splashed them onto the green canvas of our city garden. Sometimes I felt my mother beside me, our hands in the earth. She taught me how to make flower pictures in pots.


Ever since the apple blossom fell and turned brown I’ve been impatient for colour in the garden. But yesterday when my second sister came with a bouquet of parsley and young kale, she stood at the window and said,


“ But look at all the wonderful different greens.”


Which I hadn’t noticed in my longing for red.


Before lunch when we sat in our magic circle of women, my first sister said,


“ You can always choose to see the glass half full or half empty.”


The same glass - my choice. Today my glass overflowed and watered my heart.


And now my lovely man is on his way back with pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment